DIY Kitchen Cabinet Update

let me start off by saying I really had no clue what I was doing and I’m not someone you should take any type of DIY advice from.

The world has been stuck in their houses and some people couldn’t wait to leave but to be honest, I didn’t hate it. What I did hate was the fact that I’m sitting around just looking at all of the things I want to change about my house that I normally wouldn’t have thought about. My “office” is our kitchen so I knew right when I had some time, the first thing I wanted to do was update our kitchen cabinets.

I started off by watching as many Tik Toks, Instagram reels and YouTube videos. Then got some advice from my cousin who had literally just done it and I got started.

I was actually in the middle of adding shiplap to my bathroom walls (a blog post for another day). I started by taking off the front of all the cabinets and removing the hardware.

I bought this CitriStrip Varnish Remover Gel (i went through two containers of it & it should be mentioned there was no smell AT ALL) and these paint scrapers. I put the remover all over the front of the cabinet fronts, put saran wrap ontop and let it sit for 24 hours. I also learned that you don’t have to wait that long. Once it sits, you just scrape it all off with the scraper.-

Then I bought this small sander and once the cabinet fronts were dry and got to standing. And by got to standing, I mean I sanded these things for DAYS. It also might just have been the amount of varnish that was on the cabinet fronts but it just took forever. I had everything in the basement and we don’t have air down there, I was sweating my ass off. Once they were all sanded I primed them with Killz 2. I started off with the backs of first.

Then I went back and sanded all of the cabinet pieces that were attached to the wall, I dunno what that part is called and primed that too. Once they were dry, I added all of the hardware back on – the new ones I purchased – and then put them back up.

I then primed the front of all the cabinets. Once they were dry, I added the first coat of Behr Cotton Knit. Once that was dry, I lightly sanded the cabinets again and then did the next coat. I added the new hardware and it was DONE.

It took about 3-4 weeks and it was much harder than I thought it was going to be, but I’m obsessed and so glad I did it.

links: new hardware // black cabinet pulls

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s